This week is an exciting time at AMF: it’s the beginning of Whiz Kids! Here are five things you may not know about our Whiz Kids tutoring program.
- City Gospel Mission began Whiz Kids to provide at-risk students tutoring and mentoring around the city. 2017 marks the 8th year Anthony Munoz Foundation has been a site host at Robert Paideia Academy in Price Hill!
2. Each year 20 Kindergarten through 5th Grade students have the opportunity to be matched with a tutor from AMF. These pairs meet every Wednesday after school for one hour of tutoring. They practice reading skills while building a relationship with their tutor.
3. At the end of each session, Whiz Kids get to participate in a group activity. This can be an art project like creating shamrocks for St. Patrick’s Day or even playing a fun game like “Over the Mountain” where students and tutors get to know each other better.
4. In the last 3 years, 13 students have completed and aged-out of the Whiz Kids curriculum! They have moved on to the Whiz Kids extension program—City Gospel Mission’s Unplugged where they focus more on everyday enrichment, academics, and life-skills. These students also have the opportunity to learn more about spirituality. Fun fact: these students come from 7 different families!
5. Want to be a tutor? You must be at least 16 years old! Most of our volunteer tutors do not have previous tutoring experience but training is provided by The Foundation and City Gospel Mission before Whiz Kids begins. There is still time for you to register to be a tutor for the 2017-2018 school year! Click here to learn more about registering to be a Whiz Kid tutor!
Thanksgiving is a time to reflect and give thanks to all your loved ones and the people that are close to you. Here at AMF we are thankful for so many things! It’s impossible to list them all, but we’ll give it a shot…here a just a few of the people we are thankful for:
Volunteers: Nothing compares to our volunteers. Without their passion for giving back and drive to make a difference our programs and events could not happen! They are the engine that keeps our foundation going and moving down the road of success. THANK YOU!
Teachers and Schools: We are BEYOND thankful for all of the schools and their teachers (and administrators). The foundation has eight (8) successful impact programs ALL of which center around youth and their schools. Without the commitment of each of these schools and all of their staff, our programs wouldn’t happen. It’s through their dedication to bettering the lives of their students that we can continue to make an impact in our city! THANK YOU!
Students: We mentioned above that our volunteers are the engine that keeps the foundation going, well the students are the heart! It’s these many individuals that are the core of the foundation’s mission. Wether they realize it or not, these students impact our lives just as much as we impact theirs. For that we say THANK YOU!
Community: Here at AMF our “community” ranges from Cincinnati, up to Dayton, over to Southeast Indiana and down to Northern Kentucky. We are so grateful to be a part of such a large community were so many people help us do what we love. THANK YOU!
Our AMF Family: From sponsors and partners, to those who just click “like” on our Facebook posts or retweet that one awesome picture, without you our foundation would not be a where it is today. We could not be more thankful for your commitment to what we do and the people we help! THANK YOU!
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?! Let us know by commenting on here or on our social media, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram!